We’ve all been there. We open up the door to our fridge and see that near empty pack of greens in the crisper drawer, waiting to be tossed (cue sad cabbage photo, right). We think “not today.. maybe I’ll use it tomorrow”.
Many times… tomorrow never comes.
Consumers (that’s us!) are the BIGGEST contributors of food waste in America, throwing away 25% of all purchased food. This adds up. In fact, it’s nearly $160 dollars a month for a family of four. It’s also terrible for the environment. For more on food waste – check out my blog post here.
FOOD IS TOO GOOD TO WASTE.
I took that sad cabbage and revitalized it’s more durable and vibrant friend – freshly picked Dino Kale. Check out my recipe below
Note: the real magic is in the dressing. It’s delicious and can go on nearly anything!
RESCUED GREENS SLAW WITH A CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
- Greens of choice (whichever are going bad first – mix and match)
- Veggies (sliced carrots, cabbage, etc) – Use liberally
- Garlicky dressing (vegan) – Mix and coat lightly
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s preferred)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- Dash hot sauce (optional)