It’s tomato season, and with that come the vast variety of juicy and flavor rich tomatoes – ranging in color, size, and shape (some admittedly much prettier than others). This recipe has been my personal favorite tomato salad, and heirloom tomatoes just make the recipe that much more beautiful. Enjoy!!
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (balsalmic works best!)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey or cane sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp dried herbs (oregano, basil, or rosemary)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes (mixture of colors and varieties)
- salt and pepper to taste
- blue cheese crumbles (optional for vegan)
- fresh basil
- Serve with warm, grilled crusty bread
Whisk or blend in a blender olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey/sugar, herbs, and garlic.
Core the tomatoes and cut out any blemishes, then slice the tomatoes in 1/2-inch thick to 1-inch thick slices.
Arrange different colors and varieties of tomato slices on two plates, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, and top with blue cheese crumbles. Drizzle with dressing, garnish with fresh basil.
Serve immediately with warm, crusty bread.
This recipe is from Northstar Cafe in Columbus, Ohio, and can be found here.
Look at these gorgeous tomatoes!